Tuesday 23 December 2014

Planning: an Introduction to the Model

The model that I use for planning plots is roughly based on the Snowflake Method.

I start by distilling my idea of the story into a single sentence, which I call my 1S. Then, I expand it into a paragraph (1p, lowercase), a summary of the plot. Next, I expand it to one page (1P, capital) adding in more detail, then finally, to ten (10P.) For a novel, I might stop there (of course, I would also have notes on characters and setting), but a graphic novel requires more detail. I like to write one to four sentence summaries of all of the scenes (3Lsc) before I start on the script.

You may break this model a bit, especially if you're publishing as you go, in serials or online, in which case I would highly recommend having at least fifteen pages of plot summary and very good notes on your characters and setting before you start writing/drawing, and making sure that you script and storyboard your scenes before you draw them. 

I'll be elaborating on the individual steps of the model in the next few posts. Until then, so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment